Create a Surrealist collage that will have a dream-like quality similar to the works of Magritte, Dali and Ernst.
"The Persistence of Memory"
"Not to be Reporduced"
Max Ernst (German)
WORLDS of Imagination “Beyond Reality”
The Surrealist movement was about recovering from the destruction of World War I and II.
The Surrealists turned INWARD – escaping into a private reality based on
- DREAMS (including nightmares)
- and FEELINGS
The new science of Psychology suggested that the “UNCONSCIOUS” mind guides our inner feelings, fears and desires, and that CLUES to this unconscious can be found in DREAMS.
Surrealist art is about:
- JUXTAPOSITION of objects – joining of objects in unusual combinations
- NATURAL LAWS are reversed
- SCALE CHANGE
- DOUBLE IMAGES echo and repeat
Great place to look for ideas. http://speckyboy.com/2011/09/07/30-breathtaking-surreal-photoshop-tutorials/
- To become more proficient with using selection tools, layers, image adjustments and masking tools in Photoshop.
- To create realistic light and shadow so that objects look as if they fit into the scene.
- To be responsible in following copyright laws when using digital images from public domain photo websites.
- To use compositional principles of design like balance, center of interest, and harmony in the collage project.
- To show a liberation of the mind by emphasizing the critical and imaginative powers of the subconscious. To show a strange and unreal-like imagery in the collage.
- Composition and design.
- Use of the Photoshop tools.
- Fulfillment of the objectives.
- Search and collect images. You want to look for an image that will be your background and images that you will use in the background. It is a good idea to find images that have the same light source.
- Open Photoshop and create a New Document. 9×12 in. or 12×9 in. and at 120 resolution.
- Drag and drop the background into the new project.
- Using selections, layer masks and blend modes you want to start adding other elements/objects to your scene.
- Making image adjustments so that the color, contrast and brightness of all the objects work with the background.
- Adding lighting effects and shadows when needed to objects.
Tutorials about shadows
Creating a lighting effect